Please join us on Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 5-6pm (AKDT), for our Friends October membership meeting with featured guest speaker, Elyssa Watford.
Want to hear an eider’s heartbeat? Be taken along through ice and fog to the off-shore world of the barrier islands of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge? Wonder what it would be like to live and work in a remote field camp on the edge of the Beaufort Sea? Then join us, the Friends of Alaska National Wildlife Refuges, to hear Elyssa Watford share stories and stunning photos and videos of her three years of eider research on the barrier islands. Elyssa, a PhD candidate at UAF, has been working with Common Eiders, North America’s largest duck, for three years. The focus of her work has been the potential impacts of climate change on these special birds and their habitats. Come learn about these birds and this important work and find out about volunteering and advocacy opportunities.
Elyssa will be at the Fairbanks meeting; our other gatherings will join via Zoom Meetings.
- Fairbanks: Noel Wein Library, 1215 Cowles, reception at 4:30; meet at 5
- Anchorage: Fish & Wildlife Service Regional Office, 1011 E. Tudor, gathering and snacks at 4:30, meet at 5 p.m.
- Homer: Islands and Ocean Visitor Center, 95 Sterling Highway, meet at 5
- Soldotna: Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, Ski Hill Road, meet at 5
If you can’t make it in person, join us by phone or by computer:
- By phone:
Dial-in number: 720-707-2699
Meeting ID: 619 207 040
(Press ‘#’ if you are asked for a participant ID)
- By computer:
Join Zoom Meeting
(We are only using audio in this meeting; please join this meeting without video.)
If you are joining us by phone or computer, please download Elyssa’s presentation and follow along:Introductions and Discussion (5 minutes)
Download Presentation (PowerPoint .pptx)
- Introductions: Where do you live?
- New People: Why did you join the call today?
- Reminder to please mute yourselves when you aren’t talking
- Refuge Projects and Reports
Speaker/Presentation (30-40 minutes) –
Topic: Chasing Eiders
Next Meeting: Tuesday, January 21, 5-6pm Guest Speaker TBA
Six meetings yearly: January, February, March, April, September, October